The establishment of the castle park is considered to have begun after the construction of the castle itself, although the ponds predate the founding of the castle.The document from 1597 references four ponds, gardens, dams and nearby windmills. It is believed that the ponds and gardens were then mostly used for farming, rather than aesthetic, purposes. Upon taking up ownership of the castle, Anthony Gielgud inherited a rather neglected park. At his initiative, a classicist style park was designed in the late 18th century: recreational canals were dug, shaded arbours and a greenhouse constructed, and a so-called animal park (a pen for fallow deer) was set up. The greenhouse sheltered imported and exotic plants: hyacinth, lilies, aloe, orange trees, date palms, fig trees and oleander, among many others.
After the appropriation of the estate and the castle by the Tsarist government in 1832, the park was neglected. Its southern portion became overgrown with bushes, and the trees in the northern part of the park were cut down, replaced with new buildings.
Today, the castle is surrounded by a 13-hectare park with five ponds resembling a defensive belt of water.Only indigenous (mostly deciduous) species of trees grow in the park. The oldest of these, an oak 1.7 meters in diameter, thrives near the southwestern tower, in the centre of the southern hillside.