The Panemunė Castle Artist Residence is one of the Vilnius Academy of Arts (VAA) spaces (others in Nida and Mizarai) where students and teachers create and rest. And not only. All creative and benevolent people can stay in this creative and recreational home.
Panemunė Castle Artist Residence was established in the former manor house of Panemunė manor homestead - in the economic and administrative yard of the manor, the function of which was in the 20th century. the other was a monastery, a machine and tractor station or a basic school.
- Until the middle of the 19th century, the buildings of the Panemunė manor palace, as in many Lithuanian manors, were of ethnic and wooden architecture.
- In the second half of the 19th century, new brick buildings were built in the palace park of Panemunė manor. During this period, the manor was ruled by Count Stanislovas Puslovskis, a descendant of Gelgaudai.
- 1925 The Panemunė manor was expropriated by the Republic of Lithuania and part of it was sold at auction to priest Antanas Petraitis (1861–1933). The 48-hectare estate consisted of: a dwelling house, a barn, a cemetery, a barn, and a garden.
- In a will of 1930, A. Petraitis transferred his property to the Congregation of the Salesians. In 1934, when the Salesian monks arrived in Lithuania, they established a Salesian monastery. In 1934–1938, new buildings were built in the territory of the former Panemunė manor homestead, the former ones were adapted to the needs of the monastery.
- In 1948, the agricultural function was returned to the former territory of the monastery - the Machine and Tractor Station was established, a state-owned enterprise that supplied agricultural machinery to the collective farms.
- In 1963–2013, the monastery housed Vytėnai Basic School, which provided pre-school, primary, basic and additional education programs in the Lithuanian language.
Today, the Vilnius Academy of Arts, which manages the former school, has established a practice and recreation center.
In the future, the Artist Residence will also be located in the castle itself - in the eastern building. Restoration work is currently planned in this building.